Resource Planning Consulting Services
Sargent & Lundy develops and evaluates power supply, energy efficiency, and procurement options to meet energy and capacity needs. Resource planning services may include evaluation of:
- Existing generation and expansion options
- New generation and siting viability
- Purchase of existing assets
- Feasibility of partnering with other load serving entities
- Potential and/or required renewable energy options
- Energy efficiency and distributed generation technologies
- Energy storage projects
- Transmission planning and upgrade programs
- Wholesale market purchases
- Natural gas market and pipeline capacities
S&L works with clients to determine which services meet their needs.
- S&L reviewed the analysis of power supply options completed by utility staff. We reviewed planning model input assumptions for carbon taxes, natural gas, and other critical parameters, and developed recommendations on preferred options.
- S&L developed an electricity supply plan to meet the long-term electric demand and load requirements of six municipal utilities. The study evaluated a range of new resource options along with the long-term viability and costs of continuing to operate existing resources against a long-term wholesale market forecast of energy and capacity costs.
- S&L developed a long-term power supply plan for a municipal utility. The scope included developing the load forecast and resulting resource needs; identifying and screening resource options, including demand-side management; developing cost and performance characteristics for selected options; modeling the annual economic dispatch; developing, evaluating, and identifying the best resource portfolio plan, including consideration of plant siting impacts.